Ireland is a country with incredible scenery, delicious food, super friendly people, and lots of things to see and do so it’s no wonder that it is a dream tourist destination for so many people. Ireland is ideal for couples, families, and solo travelers, and of course those with Irish heritage. Ireland is an amazing country with a lot of culture and heritage, but it can also be daunting for the first-timer.
From local food to local language, packing tips to Pub etiquette, Galway to Dublin, and everything else, it’s best to know before visiting Ireland for the first time. This list will give you some pointers for your trip to Ireland so you know what to expect!
- Ireland has a wealth of ancient monuments, ruins, and landmarks that deserve exploration. Visit them all! There are many things Ireland is popular for, but some of the most notable are the striking natural landmarks and the stunning man-made monuments. Called the Emerald Island due to the green hue that covers it, Ireland is covered with famous castles, bustling cities, beautiful natural settings, ancient and recent monuments. To explain better, one such place is the Giant’s Causeway. Located in Northern Ireland, this is another UNESCO Heritage site in Emerald Ireland and is very popular for its weird-looking hexagonal rock columns. There are roughly 40,000 of these interlocking basalt columns, resulting from an ancient volcanic eruption. It is a truly unique place and a very enjoyable one to visit with family. The walk along the shore to the rocks is stunning. Being able to simply hop from one basalt column to the other, and contemplating this geological wonder is a remarkable experience.
- Remember that this is not Disney World: This place is quite real and can be quite strict on alcohol consumption (there are penalties if caught). Please try to please drink responsibly.
- Dublin and the surrounding areas are not Ireland. Ireland is the rest of the country, including the beautiful countryside, coastline, and cities that most tourists don’t know about (i.e., Galway). Spend your time exploring other parts of the country and you will be well rewarded!
- Driving in Ireland can be a bit hairy for newbies. If you haven’t driven a stick in a while, take it slowly and learn the best way to drive to avoid potential mishaps.
- Plan your trip ahead of time especially if you’re flying into Dublin. Make sure you know when the buses run and when they do not, as getting around can be difficult without them (and the taxis can be pricey).
- Expect hot weather in Ireland during the summer months. Bring sunscreen! The summer days grow longer and you can expect more daylight and stunning late crimson sunsets with moderate to warm temperatures. Here, summers are much drier and everyone seems happier; however, you can still expect rain and wind, so be prepared.
- Go for guided tours for specific activities
Sometimes while traveling to distant places tourists stay away from guided tours because they don’t know if it’s really important. In Ireland, we recommend taking guided tours as they are beneficial in order to go to places that are a bit out of the way, give you plenty of vital information and tips about the sights, and you only have to pay one cost. Guided tours offer diverse options at a variety of prices, which is definitely a benefit. But don’t always jump to something more expensive, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better.
Ireland is home to the friendliest people, quaint towns, breath-taking sceneries, and endless amounts of beer and once you experience, it, leaving can seem nearly impossible. We at TravelGooru, work by the motto to help you make your travel easy. We keep reading interesting posts about traveling and expand our horizons to meet your expectations.
At TravelGooru, we help with all the logistics that precede international travel. We are here to make all your reservations, compare the costs of various flights and hotels to make sure that you get the best deal. We search, compare, and save on your travel expense. If you wish to take a trip to Ireland anytime soon and are scared of the process, you can simply contact us. We will make sure that your trip is one filled with pleasure bereft of the stress of planning.